What's Public Relations?
Public relations is a strategic communication process that builds mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their publics." - PRSA
In short, PR is a strategy used is for the professional maintenance of a favorable public image by a brand. People typically associate PR with celebrities, but that's just one area of Public Relations. Entrepreneurs should have a PR plan in place as well, since they have a public that they are targeting.
What Does A Publicist Do For A Client?
A publicist may perform the following activities, but are not limited to:
- put together an EPK (an electronic press kit)
- pitch their client to the media- Top reason a publicist is hired!
- schedule interviews
- oversee their client's image (work with a fashion stylist if needed)
- scan the media for any mentions, both positive and negative
- manage any social media activity
- help write speeches, media alerts, biographies, newsletters, blogs etc.,
- plan press junkets
- manage any crisis
- manage media training